Rick started his legal career at Rembolt Ludtke in 1984, and transitioned from partner to of counsel status in 2013. In his now part-time role with the firm Rick practices principally in the creditors rights area. Since 2001 Rick has held an appointment and serves as a federal Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee.
- University of Nebraska, B.S., Business Administration, with distinction, 1981
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., with distinction, 1984
- Order of the Coif
- Executive Editor of The Nebraska Law Review, University of Nebraska College of Law
- U.S. Court of Appeals (8th Circuit)
- Appointed as a Federal Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee
- Listed on Great Plains Super Lawyers List
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review AV Rating (highest available rating)
- Named in Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- The Best Lawyers in America 2015 “Lawyer of the Year,” Lincoln, Nebraska, Bankruptcy and creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Involved in a number of legal and community volunteer activities over the years, including:
- Bankruptcy Local Rules Committee
- Bankruptcy seminar presenter
- Nebraska Bankruptcy Section
- Nebraska Banking Law Section
- CHI- St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center
- Lincoln Habitat for Humanity
- Catholic Social Services
- United Way
- Catholic Foundation of the Diocese of Lincoln
- St. Pius X BOLT (Building Outstanding Leaders Today)
- YMCA Youth Sports
- Appointed as Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee in over 11,000 cases since 2001.
- Appointed as Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Trustee for a large agricultural case that involved the Trustee liquidating over $10 million in assets.
- Chapter 7 cases included liquidation of bank holding company of the largest bank failure in Nebraska history, liquidation of substantially completed biodiesel facility, liquidation of a business with over 200 individual employee and independent contractor claimants located in the USA and Canada, winding down of ERISA plans, and liquidations in hundreds of other asset cases.
Rick and his wife Sue have been married for 34 years, and have three children.